Children’s Engineering fits into what you already do in the classroom and can be used with all subjects.
Children’s Engineering Teaches:
- state and national standards
- critical and creative thinking
- hands-on learning
- decision making
- reading comprehension
- cooperative skills
- differentiated instruction
Children’s Engineering Results in:
- ownership of essential knowledge
- self-confident learners
- applied knowledge
- 21st-century skills
Design Brief Resources
- K-5 Design Briefs created by Chesterfield County teachers
- Virginia’s Children Engineering Council
- Extensive Lesson Plans from West Virginia Teachers
- Children’s Engineering Design Briefs K-5
How to Create a Design Brief
Background Information – Tie the design brief into what you’ve been studying. For example: We have been learning about frogs and their life cycle.
– Decide what you want your final product to be (design and create, design and build, etc.). For example: Design and create a frog that demonstrates the knowledge you have gained about frogs.
Criteria – List the constraints and limitations for the design brief’s final product –
- – What must it include?
- – What must it do?
- – What are the time restraints?
- – Are they working alone or with a partner?
For example: Your frog must –
- – have at least 5 facts that you learned written neatly and displayed on your frog, including at least one about its life cycle.
- – have one or more moving parts.
- – work alone or with a partner.
Materials – List the materials students can use. They may only use what is on the list but do not have to use all of the materials. These are the things that will remain on the finished product.
Tools – List the tools they can use. Again, they need to stick to the list but do not have to use them all. (scissors, crazy scissors, hole punch, ruler, markers, crayons, colored pencils)
SOL – List the SOLs the project covers.
- Three Tab Venn Diagram Book Foldable
- Pocket Book Foldable
- Journal Response Three Quarter Book Foldable
- Layered Look Book Foldable
- Student Interest Bound Book Foldable
- Two Tab Cause and Effect Book Foldable
- Foldables Pyramid
- Foldables Three Tab
- US History Foldables
- Virginia Studies Foldables