To The Rescue: Engineering Aid Drop Packages
Preparation before class:
Make copies of the EA journal for each group.
Have iPad ready with Message from the Duo.
Have ClassroomScreen timer ready to use.
Introduction to the project: 15 mins.
1) Explain what the project is about and how it was funded.
2) Talk about humanitarian aid drops after earthquakes, landslides, and floodwaters.
3) Talk about the functions of packaging (contain, communication, carry, display, dispense, protect, and preserve). We will cover 3 of those: 1) communicate – what’s inside the package, 2) display – easy to see when it lands, and 3) protect – undamaged supplies.
4) Go over the EDP and the goal, group students by counting to 3, and journaling w/roles and rotations each week (recorder, tester, presenter, and materials gatherer).
Prep Adventure 1: Tower Power – Kids will learn the Engineering Design Process is a tool they can use to help solve problems.
1) What is Engineering? Any time you need to solve a problem in order to reach a goal, you are engineering.
2) Why work in small groups? Working well with others is an important skill for any engineer.
3) Show Message from the Duo.
4) Your Challenge: To engineer a tower to lift the animal up 10 inches so it does not get eaten by alligators. Hand out journal and supplies as students go to their stations.
Students work collaboratively in their groups. Roam the room to answer questions and observe students working. Use teacher rubric during observations.
Kids will learn the Engineering Design Process is a tool they can use to help solve problems.
- Present Message from the Duo. (5 mins.)
- Set the Stage. (5 mins.)
- Imagine. (5 mins.)
- Plan and Create. (20 mins.)
- Tower Showcase. (10 mins.)
- Reflect. (5 mins.)
- Engineering – Someone who uses his or her creativity and knowledge of math and science to design things that solve problems.
- Engineering Design Process (EDP) – The steps that engineers use to design something that solves a problem.
- Package – A covering or container.
- Packaging engineer – An engineer who designs packages for many different types of objects. Functions of the package often include containing, carrying, preserving, protecting, displaying, dispensing, and communicating information about what is inside.
- Technology – Anything designed by humans to help solve a problem.