Modern technologies, particularly multimedia and digital networks, can enable people to change education profoundly. These technologies alter how people produce, disseminate, and use knowledge and communicate globally. These changes affect the curriculum: what is taught, how students gain access to it and what human achievements result. Reshaping the curriculum through digital communications has enormous potential for advancing both intellectual excellence and democratic equity.
FREE EDUCATIONAL iPAD APPS
- Show Me – Turn your iPad into a personal interactive whiteboard. It offers features such as: record voice, make video tutorials and share them, import images and write over them, easily switch between drawing and erasing.
- Jot – Whiteboard app that allows users to: sketch out their ideas and share them in real time, draw, take notes, and share ideas via email or save them as photos.
- Educreations – Ideal for creating video tutorials and animated lessons. It offers users the ability to: record voice, use diagrams, add text to photos, and share through email, Facebook or Twitter.
- TapQuiz Maps World Edition – An easy and quick way to master geography. Learn the countries of the world through a fun and engaging game! Just tap the answer to each question on the map. Keep track of your progress through the statistics page so that you will always know where you can improve. See how much you can learn in just 10 minutes!
- Pass the Past – Pass the Past is an app that covers World, United States and Virginia history, civics, and geography. Students can review their social studies curriculum by taking different 25 question quizzes. Students are then shown their score along with the correct and incorrect answers.
- Earth Viewer – Select eons and eras to view. Within each eon and era you can view tectonic plates, continental drift, and other geological events. You can view major biological events in EarthViewer too. Climate data for the last one hundred years is available in the app. EarthViewer users can manipulate the virtual globe to see how each continent has moved and been altered over time.
- ArithMeTick (Math Flash Cards) – How fast can you add and multiply? Solve math problems against the clock! ArithmeTick is a challenging math game where you solve addition, subtraction, multiplication and division problems!
- Read Me Stories – A new book EVERY DAY develops your child’s love for books and a daily reading habit.
- Miss Spell’s Class – An original word game that lets players test their spelling skills against the most commonly misspelled words on Dictionary.com. Players must quickly decide whether each of 20 words is spelled correctly or incorrectly, as speed and accuracy count to get to the top of the class!
- Math Terms – MathTerms is an illustrated glossary of mathematics terms in English and Spanish. The app includes almost 1,000 entries for middle- and high-school mathematical concepts.
- Early Jamestown – An interactive textbook exploration of the early days of the Jamestown settlement and the state of Virginia with rich interactive graphics and the engrossing story of a key moment in the history of the United States.
- Elevated Math – Elevated Math is a student’s personal whiteboard for working out math problems.
- Maps of the World – A fun and educational collection of high-resolution historical maps.
- Pearltrees – A fun and quick way to have all your interests at hand. Collect, organize and share everything you like with your new visual and social library!